Skip to main content

Why is Meditation Important?


How do you feel when your opinion is rejected? I get dejected. Even if I don’t want to fall in the trap of emotional anger, I still do. Then what follows is a series of self-improvement talks with self. I sit in meditation, emerge that person in front of me and try to give some of my positive energy. From where I started 10 years back, there is a lot of difference in the way I handle a conflict. But there’s a long way to go. And that’s why meditation is important to me. 


"The more elevated thoughts you create, the more your value increases."


Meditation has taught me self-control. It has given me the power not to spread negative emotions. If there’s a conflict, I try not to drag it beyond a point. Meditation for is a transformative power which makes living better. It is not just about sitting on a floor and concentrating hard on a single point, but being aware about everything. It is the most direct way to generate intimacy with your own thoughts, cultivating deeper experiences and an understanding of others’ behaviours. It transcends innate capacities to bring about an affair of love with the connection with self. 

A study by Harvard researchers shows benefits of meditation against multitude of conditions both physical and mental. Common physical ailments like irritable bowel syndrome, anxiety, blood pressure, depression, chronic pain, and stress can be controlled. Numerous patients have shown significant improvements by engaging in meditation program, with some of the results becoming better than other existing treatments. The act of letting your inner self take a seat, ponder on thoughts that your mind generate and filtering out what gives you energy on a regular basis is a profound expression of self-care.  

Thoughts for Meditation

From my experience of learning and teaching mindfulness, I am listing 15 thoughts for meditation. You can take a single thought and create your own version of feelings with it or combine a few together for a greater depth of your meditation experience.

  1. I am a soul, a point of light, an energy with infinite potential.
  2. I am a peaceful soul. Peace is my nature. It defines me.
  3. I will treat everyone with care, compassion and courtesy today. This is how I’ll make the world a better place today.
  4. My life is worth my peace. I will not let go of my peacefulness. 
  5. I am in clouds, flying above the disturbances of everydays’ disturbances. This is my peaceful state and no one can move me from it. I will not allow myself to come down from this lightness.
  6. From these eyes, I see the beauty of this world. From colourful flowers to the sound of raindrops and twinkling stars in the sky – I see and feel everything.
  7. My existence is just for this moment. Let me savour this.
  8. Today is the day I will let go of my anger. I will not be irritated or disturbed.
  9. As I sit in the stillness, I am getting free from overthinking. I will not disturb anyone today or get disturbed by anyone.
  10. I will not react to anything today. 
  11. I accept everyone as they are. 
  12. I will think only useful thoughts today. I am light. I am peaceful.
  13. I will not give sorrow to anyone today, nor will I take it.
  14. I will speak with care. I will not hurt anyone with my words.
  15. My thoughts create my feelings. To save myself from useless and painful feelings, I’ll not think about useless or painful thoughts.

Some thoughts for meditation before I close this post. Meanwhile, if you want to read more, here’s my previous post on Finding Your Calm.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Awesome. Can you write blog for us also? I'm from London. We will contact you shorty. Jim H
Perry said…
Aha! So this was what Jim was talking about the other day. Love reeading your thoughts. Keep inspiring! P

Popular posts from this blog

Demystifying The 4:00 am Morning Routine

What happens when you get up early? That’s a question I have researched many times. I like getting up early and knowing that it does good for my body & mood; I get that extra strength to keep this habit. In this article, I explore some of the deeper mysteries of how the mind works when it is activated earlier than usual. Hope you feel as inspired reading it as much as I loved writing it. Making the morning routine To those who can get up early without setting alarm, I say you are blessed. Not many have that much of control over the self. To me, the greatest thing that made me develop this habit was reframing my idea of it. I had tried everything. From putting up a running gear in bed for the morning to setting puzzles as the alarm on the phone, I did it all. Some days I got up before the alarm even rang, but other days were a pain. I slogged out of bed, put down the alarm, and slept again. The intoxicating morning sleep had me in its ever-long grasps. Every night I wo

Kasab - Our National Guest

Mumbai attacks, The Burning Taj and Kasab Our national guest - Ajmal Amir Kasab has turned 2 in our custody. People celebrate birthdays but we will celebrate this anniversary by opening our borders, by applauding our enemies and by sending a lists of wanted terrorists to our dear neighbour, most of whom are already with us.  Well folks, that's India. We'll keep Ajmal Amir Kasab as our guest. Who cares if he killed people. They get killed everyday. India loves you darling. Our slogan is - "Atithi Devo Bhava". Your stay expenses are on us. Please eat, sleep and live a relaxed life. After all, how many of your brothers get a chance to shed innocent blood? Kasab ji and his wishes  India is a rich state. We have given you lawyer for free. We will give you all the comforts till you live. We don't have money to feed our own people but don't worry. You are our nation's priority so we give you security which is more than what 99% of Indians & forei

International Literacy Day