Skip to main content

7 Step Plan to Sleep Right

Is there a way to get food sleep? What makes the body sleepy? Thoughts? Actions? Worries? 
For long, I have struggled to find the right balance between daily schedule and sleeping on time. My next day depends on a good night sleep. No good sleep, no high energy the next day. I have a ritual. I follow it everyday, and on the rare days i don't, the guilt of breaking the discipline makes it hard to concentrate on anything else. So here's my 7 step sleeping plan and I hope it helps you as much as it helps me. 
How to sleep right Step 1: 
Workout: Run, jog, walk, do yoga, aerobics, zumba, boxing, learn martial arts, pick weights or participate in strength training - do something everyday without fail. Exercise brings a natural rthym to body. It releases good harmones, encourages flexibily of muscles and makes sure the blood flow is better, not to mention tires the body so that it can get a good sleep. 

How to sleep right Step 2: Have early dinner. Most Indians aren't used to eating by 6:00 pm, but hey - if the rishi munis could do it, so can we. Early dinner allows the food to be digested long before you hit the sack. 

How to sleep right Step 3: Drink warm milk after food. I am a staunch believer of burning calories before going off to sleep and so can never advice anyone to drink milk right before sleeping. I suggest have it at least an hour before so that your body can break it down before it goes in rest. 

How to sleep right Step 4: Walk or stand of your feet for at least 45 minutes after dinner. Give a chance to your body to start the digestion process. I do so while watching evening news. I put a timer of an hour on my watch and continue to stand and/or shift weight between both legs for that time. I also do 10 squats and lunges in between. It's entirely on choice. You can decide not to do it. 

How to sleep right Step 5: Shut down tv/loud music/laptop/otjer screens at least 2 hours before. Give your mind sometime to get back to its original thoughts. Bring it to peace. You don't need to go to sleep thinking about all that's wrong with the world. Deal with it the next day. 

How to sleep right Step 6: Write. It helps to pen thoughts, empties the mind and soothes the nerves. 


How to sleep right Step 7: Meditate. One of the most powerful tools to audit your day's actions and then shutting the entire system of body one by one. It's easy once you build the practice of it. 

That's it. That's what I do, every night. You can try too and how this 7 step routine for a better sleep works out for you, let me know. 

Till then, 
Goodnight. 
N

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Demystifying The 4:00 am Morning Routine

What happens when you get up early? That’s a question I have researched many times. I like getting up early and knowing that it does good for my body & mood; I get that extra strength to keep this habit. In this article, I explore some of the deeper mysteries of how the mind works when it is activated earlier than usual. Hope you feel as inspired reading it as much as I loved writing it. Making the morning routine To those who can get up early without setting alarm, I say you are blessed. Not many have that much of control over the self. To me, the greatest thing that made me develop this habit was reframing my idea of it. I had tried everything. From putting up a running gear in bed for the morning to setting puzzles as the alarm on the phone, I did it all. Some days I got up before the alarm even rang, but other days were a pain. I slogged out of bed, put down the alarm, and slept again. The intoxicating morning sleep had me in its ever-long grasps. Every night I wo

Kasab - Our National Guest

Mumbai attacks, The Burning Taj and Kasab Our national guest - Ajmal Amir Kasab has turned 2 in our custody. People celebrate birthdays but we will celebrate this anniversary by opening our borders, by applauding our enemies and by sending a lists of wanted terrorists to our dear neighbour, most of whom are already with us.  Well folks, that's India. We'll keep Ajmal Amir Kasab as our guest. Who cares if he killed people. They get killed everyday. India loves you darling. Our slogan is - "Atithi Devo Bhava". Your stay expenses are on us. Please eat, sleep and live a relaxed life. After all, how many of your brothers get a chance to shed innocent blood? Kasab ji and his wishes  India is a rich state. We have given you lawyer for free. We will give you all the comforts till you live. We don't have money to feed our own people but don't worry. You are our nation's priority so we give you security which is more than what 99% of Indians & forei

International Literacy Day